Vocalist.org archive

From:  dogmac@r...
dogmac@r...
Date:  Sun Jun 10, 2001  4:43 pm
Subject:  Memorising

In memorising new music, I use an updated method of the "write it down
until you forget" This is for the words only, mind you

First I learn the tune, and then I use an excel program to learn the
words.

Basically, you type in the words, a line as you would sing it per
cell.

You then add lots of empty cells above it so you can't see the lines

And then you put a little code in to check if what you type in A1 is
the same as in A30 (where the line is) etc.

eg: the code I use is

=IF(ISBLANK(A1),"write line",IF(A1=A38,"Good","no, it should be:
"&A38))

Where A38 has the original line, and A1 is where I try to type in what
I think it is. That would go in C1.

(I know, this won't make any sense to anyone who doesn't have Excel!)

I find that writing/typing out words make them stick in my mind faster
than any other method. And I find this works more than writing,
because with writing, I was always initially having to look at what it
should have been, and accidentally catching the next line, which
rather ruined the whole point.

Hoping that all made sense!

Cheers

Di