Vocalist.org archive

From:  lasharp@n...
lasharp@n...
Date:  Sun Jun 10, 2001  2:10 am
Subject:  Re: MED: Thyroid Biopsy

Thanks Docs for your responses!

I do have two questions:

1. Local anesthesia or no? May I request one way or the other?

2. This is a question about Dr. Messmer's post. You wrote:
(SNIP)"This risk is also low in the hands of an experienced surgeon
so unless it is cancer, there are to my knowledge, no reasons to
remove a nodule."

My Primary Care doctor had a non-cancerous thyroid nodule removed at
this same hospital. It was believed the nodule was contributing to
her chronic hoarseness. She was very upset when the hoarseness not
only failed to resolve after surgery, but worsened. Are you saying
removing a nodule that is not cancerous, but is believed to be
interfering with speech and/or swallowing is not advisable? So I
should run fast and far (my personal inclination regardless!) if the
subject comes up?

Thanks again,

Laura

emusic.com