Vocalist.org archive

From:  gwyee@r...
gwyee@r...
Date:  Sat Jun 9, 2001  9:37 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] MED: Thyroid Biopsy

Hi Laura,

I assisted (held the patient's hand) with a few of these when I was
a young med student-pup on the Endocrine Service (more years back than I'd
care to remember). Two points here:

First-- It's not painful. It's done under local anesthetic and in
an office or clinic setting and takes only a few minutes. It doesn't
involve any cutting or stitches. Just a carefully guided needle through
which a specimen can be aspirated. Might be minimally sore for an hour or
so afterward.

Second-- The needle won't go anywhere near your larynx. The
thyroid lies just below the skin on the outside and inferior aspect of the
thyroid cartilage. You can feel your own thyroid gland. Just find your
"Adam's Apple" and slide your fingers down toward the notch between the two
head of your collar bones. Pressing gently on against both sides of your
windpipe, swallow. This will lift your thyroid gland up between your fingers.

I'll keep you in my thoughts. Let us know how it turns out.

GWendel, dT

At 04:20 PM 6/10/01 -0400, Laura Sharp wrote:
>... I have to have a fine needle aspiration on a
>large solitary thyroid nodule. The endocrinologist did an ultrasound first
>and it will be ultrasound-guided. It's on the "ooky" side for me - having a
>needle go into my throat - so I'd appreciate your comments.
It's scheduled for 7/16.

emusic.com