Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
"John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Sat Jun 9, 2001  9:25 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] MED: Thyroid Biopsy

> Has anyone ever had this done? I have to have a fine needle aspiration on
> large solitary thyroid nodule. The endocrinologist did an ultrasound first
> and it will be ultrasound-guided.

I have not had it done but I have done it for patients. The risk is
minimal. As long as no blood vessels are hit, it is typically accomplished
without consequence. If there is bleeding, pressure should control it.

If surgery is done to remove a nodule, there is a small risk of damage to
the recurrent laryngeal nerve which could result in vocal fold paralysis.
This risk is also low in the hands of an experienced surgeon so unless it is
cancer, there are to my knowledge, no reasons to remove a nodule.

John

John J. Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family & Community Medicine
Penn State College of Medicine

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
12547 Re: MED: Thyroid Biopsy lasharp@n...   Sun  6/10/2001   2 KB

emusic.com