Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sat Jun 9, 2001  6:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Memorization?

roses41usa@n... wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone has any "helpful hints" for the
> memorization of opera arias. No matter how hard I try, can't seem to
> remember the words. I usually stumble on a word or two, and then the
> whole thing falls apart. It gets worse when I actually add the
> accompaniment. Is there a way to memorize lyrics quickly and
> easily? If so, I haven't found it!
>
> Thanks,
> Howard

I don't know about quickly - I was much faster when I was
younger - it takes much longer now and I forget faster, too.

However, I agree with memorizing text separate from music.
Write it on note cards that you can carry with you for
reference at all times. Say the words out loud a lot when
you're alone (e.g., at home or in the car alone). And when
you're in public (e.g., on the bus or train or in a car with
others) think the words through from the top. When you run
into a block or are unsure, you can check your card. But
after awhile try to wait until the "next" words come, or
drop the exercise and come back to it later.

Also, you can work on your words backwards. Start with the
last two lines, and then do the last four, etc., till you're
back at the beginning, able to do them all.

A friend of mind always memorizes the first word/words of
each line/verse in a series, because typically the first
words will bring the entire line to mind. I find this
better than rhymes, because rhymes are the LAST word and you
still have to mentally figure out what the first word is to
start the line.

With something in a foreign language, I include a
meantingful translation on the notecard. I will think a
line of the foreign-language text and then think the
meaningful translation of that line.

Another technique is to handwrite over and over the text
from memory. And then type it. I the more ways that you
can make your brain relate to the text, the more likely it
is that your brain will come up with something when your
mind goes blank in performance as it inevitably will.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com