Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Sat Jun 9, 2001  2:02 pm
Subject:  Vocalist Netiquette

--- Laura Sharp wrote:
> Isabelle, do we have Marko's old netiquette
> regarding quotes or could we
> have a fresh one to remind us?

But of course! I would stress the "Please snip your
posts" messages, since it uneccesarily wastes
bandwidth to have a lot of quotage, and is extremely
annoying for those who read the digest version. I
would also suggest adding another rule:

* Before forwarding a virus alert to the group, please
visit http://vil.mcafee.com/hoax.asp? and
http://vil.mcafee.com/newVirus.asp? or one of the
other virus verification sites to make sure it is a
real virus. Please include a link to one of the
verification sites about the virus along with your
forwarded warning.

Without further ado, the original Vocalist Netiquette:

-----
* Messages to VOCALIST should be brief and to the
point. Please do not wander off-topic - change the
subject heading instead.

* Do not quote entire postings! It's a good idea to
summarize the original at the top of the message, or
include just enough text of the original to give a
context.

* Subject lines should follow the conventions of the
group (see below). Always change the subject header
whenever the topic of the thread has changed. This is
to help readers choose only the messages they are
interested in. In other words, keep the subject header
as informative as possible.

* Commercial advertising, chain letters or virus
alerts are strictly forbidden in VOCALIST. Forgeries,
spoofing or spamming are not approved behavior.

* When replying to a message, consider the following:

1. Personal replies should ALWAYS be sent to the
originator of the message using *private* e-mail.
VOCALIST uses a set reply-to: header pointing to the
list address and you may accidentaly send a personal
response to a great many people.

2. If you should find yourself in A DISAGREEMENT with
one person, make your responses to each other via
private email. If you are debating a point on which
the group might have some interest, you may summarize
for them later.

3. Finally: Treat other people with RESPECT. Don't
start arguing or flaming someone publicly. You will
just make a fool out of yourself.
Do not send mail or post messages solely to point out
other people's errors in spelling or the way they
think about things.

4. If you are caught in an argument or a 'hot topic',
keep the discussion focused on issues rather than the
personalities involved.

Subject labels:

MED: for medical issues
ANN: for event announcements
REP: for repertoire issues
MISC: for miscellaneous stuff
ADMIN: for administrative postings

Suitable topics of discussion:
==============================

* VOCALIST was started to get together singers all
over the world and offer a forum of discussion on
teaching and studying singing. Solo singing in
different styles as well as ensemble singing are
covered here.

* We don't want to restrict the topics to any
particular style, musical period or skill level -
everyone is welcome to contribute.

* We have frequently talked about singing repertoire,
technique and interpretation. Your questions are
welcome - there are dozens of professionals,
semi-professionals and active singers on the list
who may help you.

* Other topics might include: Auditioning technique
and actual audition announcements; working with a
director or a coach; working with accompanists;
concert reviews and ads; jokes; voice and
food/drinking; shaping up one's voice etc...