Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@c...>
John Link <johnlink@c...>
Date:  Sat Jun 9, 2001  5:01 am
Subject:  Fwd: Simpson's episodes virus alert

I just received the following message and I thought i ought to pass it along:

>A new email virus is now making the rounds which infects only Macs.
>(Technically, it's not virus but a Trojan Horse, but the result is
>much the same.) This one promises you access to a bunch of "secret"
>episodes of "The Simpsons," then replicates itself and sends itself
>to people in your address book. If you get this virus, DO NOT OPEN
>THE ATTACHMENT, which is an Applescript containing the virus.
>
>The virus affects Macs with Microsoft Outlook Express or Entourage
>email programs. It apparently does no serious damage, though it may
>delete everything in your "Sent Items" folder. You can find more
>information on the virus and how to defeat it at
>
>http://www.macintouch.com/simpsonsvirus.html
>
>[Note: The reason that this virus alert is OK to post on Feldyforum
>while the recent posting about SULFNBK.EXE was not is that I've
>independently verified the validity of this warning from a reliable
>source, rather than just taking the word of someone else who had not
>checked it out -- thus propogating a hoax.]

To explain the note: The Feldyforum has a rule that notices about
viruses are NOT to be posted unless the existence of the virus in
question has been verified by a reliable source, and someone that you
generally trust is NOT considered a reliable source in this matter.

John Link

http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkFeldenkrais
http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkVocalQuintet

emusic.com