Vocalist.org archive

From:  "j. linville" <jaylinville@e...>
"j. linville" <jaylinville@e...>
Date:  Wed Jun 6, 2001  1:53 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Digest Number 711

Mark and others:

>U.S. News and World Report places [FSU] in the top five vocal schools in
the US<

I would be interested to know which other schools were in the top five. Do
you have the article handy? Also - to give you guys a little background - I
am a seventeen-year-old baritone with hopes of going into vocal
performance/opera. Next year will be my senior year, and I have a recital,
numerous competitions, and (hopefully!) the lead in the senior musical lined
up.

Does anyone have anything to say about these schools concerning their
undergraduate vocal performance major?

1. Hamilton College
2. Ithaca College
3. Juilliard School of Music
4. Manhattan School of Music
5. Mannes College of Music (New School University)
6. Eastman School of Music (University of Rochester)

Right now I am leaning toward Eastman, as they seem to educate the "whole
musician." In addition to being a quite accomplished vocalist, I am also
sixth in my class of 325, so a great liberal arts education is almost as
important as a great vocal deptartment. From their site - "the Eastman
School is seeking students whose passion for music is combined with
intellectual curiosity."

Anyone have any comment on any of these schools? My decision is mainly
still up in the air, so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Jameson Linville

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
12479 Re: Digest Number 711 thomas mark montgomery   Wed  6/6/2001   3 KB

emusic.com