Vocalist.org archive

From:  valevanni@m...
valevanni@m...
Date:  Tue Jun 5, 2001  3:09 am
Subject:  on what part of range is better to speak?

During last autumn, I began having voice problems (loss of high
range, rigidity of /i/ and /u/ vowels...). A laringoscopy showed that
my cords were swellen and reddened. Then, I began working with a
speech therapist about hard onsets and troaty speaking. Now hard
onsets have bettered very much, but troaty speaking remains.
High range remains a dream :-(

This afternoon, a laryngoscopy showed that swelling has gone, but
reddening is still there (and the rest of larynx too is reddened).
During this period I'm also examinating a possible reflux.

Another thing I find changed is the speaking pitch: once it was about
B3, now it's about F3 (and, when I speak, I find F3 too tiring, too
low!). The ent said that according to him, F3 is already rather high,
because men's voices are usually in the C3-E3 area.
He said that for a light tenor like me, F3 is right.

A thing: is it possible that all male speaking voices are contained
in a so narrow space (2 tones)?

The ENT said that, looking my cords, my natural range should be about
C3-C5 (like it was before the problem came), and I should try to work
with the speech therapist (in speaking exercises) in the C3-E3 area.

I find it strange that is good to speak on the lowest part of one's
own voice: wouldn't be better to speak on the middle-low part?

For example, you other, on what pitch do you speak? (in relation to
your singing range).

Vale

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
12473 Re: on what part of range is better to speak? Trevor Allen   Tue  6/5/2001   4 KB
12474 Re: on what part of range is better to speak? thomas mark montgomery   Tue  6/5/2001   4 KB
12477 Re: on what part of range is better to speak? Greypins@a...   Tue  6/5/2001   2 KB

emusic.com