Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Jun 4, 2001  8:21 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Repertoire

I'm going to focus on songs that are really ABOUT flowers, gardens, etc.,
instead of just set in gardens or using flowers as metaphors or similes.
By this measure, "Come into the Garden, Maud", "Salley Gardens" and "My
luve is like a red, red rose" are OUT, but William Boyce's "Spring
Gardens" and Betty Roe's "My Garden"
are IN.

One song cycle you absolutely must do is Darius Milhaud's CATALOGUE DE
FLEURS. The other cycle to consider are Richard Strauss's glorious
MAEDCHENBLUEMEN (yes, it breaks my "no metaphors" rule, but it's so
glorious and so undeservedly underperformed...).

Such a shame there's no solo version of Benjamin Britten's choral FIVE
FLOWER SONGS, op. 47....

Other "IN" songs:

George Butterworth: Loveliest of Trees (from SONGS FROM 'A SHROPSHIRE
LAD') - same poem set by several

George Butterworth: Sowing the seeds of love (from FOLK SONGS FROM
SUSSEX); same folk-song also arranged, in slightly different form, by
Ralph Vaughan Williams as "The Seeds of Love"

Gerald Finzi: Childhood among ferns (from BEFORE AND AFTER SUMMER, op 16)

Schubert: Heidenroeslein (D257) - also set by Brahms in his
VOLKS-KINDERLIEDER and Schumann in his op. 67

Arthur Bliss: The Dandelion (from TWO NURSERY RHYMES)

Anton Webern: Im mortentaun (op 3, #4)

Wallace Earl de Pue: Thy Lowly Dandelion (from EIGHT TEXTURES OF LOVE)

Hugo Wolf: Frueling uebers Jahr (from Goethe-Lieder)

Frederic Delius: Das Veilchen - and - Im Garten des Serails (from FIVE
DANISH SONGS)

Charles Tomlinson Griffes: Le jardin

Sir Arthur Bliss: Lenten flowers, from ANGELS OF THE MIND

Ernst Bacon: With the first Arbutus

Michael Head: Sweet almond blossom

Emmanuel Charbrier: Toutes les fleurs!

Roger Quilter: June

Nikolai Medtner: Lish' rozy uvjadajut (as soon as roses wither), op. 36,

Fanny Mendelssohn-Hensel: Ihr verbluehet suesse Rosen - Erwin op 7 #2
(also set by Grieg as "Zur rosenheit" op 48 #5

Schumann: Die letzten Blumen starben (from SIEBEN LIEDER VON ELISABETH
KULMANN ZUR ERINNERUNG AN DIE DICHTERIN)

Schumann: Jasminenstrauch (op 27, #4)

John Ireland: All in a garden green (from FIVE SIXTEENTH CENTURY POEMS)

John Ireland: The Garland (from MOTHER AND CHILD)

Amy Beach: Juni, op. 51 #3

Rachmaninov: Margaritki (Daisies)

Mendelssohn: Maigloeckchen und die Bluemelein op. 63 #6 (duet)

Ivor Gurney: The Lent Lily (from LUDLOW AND TEME) - same poem also set by
John Ireland in his THE LAND OF LOST CONTENT

William Alwyn: The Lily (from SONGS OF EXPERIENCE)

Liza Lehmann: The Lily of a Day

Malcolm Williamson: The Flowers (from FROM A CHILD'S GARDEN)

R. Strauss: September (from VIER LETZTE LIEDER)

Brahms: Im Garten am Seegestade, op 70 #1

Rachmaninov: Noch'ju v sadu u menja (In the night in my garden)

Schumann: Am leuchtenden Sommermorgen (from DICHETERLIEBE)

Schumann: Maerzveilchen (op 40 #1)

Erik Satie: Les fleurs (op. 20)

Charles Villiers Stanford: Drop me a Flower - also set by Arthur Bliss as
"At the Window"

Alexander Ritter: Primula Veris (op 10, #1)

John Ireland: The Trellis

Reynaldo Hahn: La primavera (from VENEZIA)

Samuel Coleridge-Taylor: Summer is gone (part song)

Schuman: Die Lotusblume (from MYRTEN); also set by Robert Franz, op 25 #1

and no doubt a billion others that I've missed.

KM
NEIL SHICOFF, TENORE SUPREMO
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html

My Own Website
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

+ I sing hymns with my spirit, +
+ but I also sing hymns with my mind. +
+ - 1 Corinthians 14:15 +

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
12465 Re: Repertoire Jennifer   Tue  6/5/2001   2 KB

emusic.com