Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Jun 4, 2001  4:32 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Repertoire

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001 promero@w... wrote:

> *Dowland:
> -Flow Not So Fast Ye Fountains
> -Fine Knacks for Ladies

I suggest you look at other songs by Dowland and also by Thomas Campion.

> *Alessandro Scarlatti:
> -O Cessate Di Piagarmi

The rest of the "26 Italian Songs and Arias" are all good candidates. My
favourites are "Pur dicesti o boca bella", "Vittoria mio core", "Quella
fiamma che m'accende", and "Sebben crudele".

> *H. Purcell:
> -Hark, How All things (The Fairy Queen)
> -Evening Hymn (Harmonia Sacra)
> -Sound the Trumpet (Come Ye Sons Of Art)

Lots of other Purcell possibilities, from his other Odes and Welcome
Songs - or you might look at the Benjamin Britten realizations of Purcell
arias, such as "Dulcibella" from the MISCELLANY OF SONGS (1971)

> *G. Friedrich Haendel:
> -Ombra Mai Fu (Xerxes)
> -Comfort Ye/Ev'ry Valley (Messiah)

Numerous other Handel arias, such as "Or let the merry bells ring 'round"
from L'ALLEGRO, IL PENSEROSO ED IL MODERATO, "We believe that thou shalt
come" from the UTRECHT TE DEUM, "Where e'er you walk" from SEMELE, "Look
down, harmonious saint" from THE PRAISE OF HARMONY, "Svegliatevi nel core"
from GIULIO CESARE, etc. etc.

> *W. A. Mozart:
> -Il Mio Tesoro (Don Giovanni)(Being Studied ATM)
> -Dalla Sua Pace (Don Giovanni)
> -Dies Bildnis (Die Zauberflote
> -Ridente la Calma

Some other Mozart - how about some of his other songs, like "An Chloe"
(K524), "Abendempfindung" (K523), "An die Freude" (K53), "Wie unglucklich
bin ich nit" (K147), "Komm, liebe Zither" (K351), "Das Lied der Trennung"
(K519), etc.; or Belmonte's arias from his German-language opera DIE
ENTFUERUNG AS DEM SERAIL (or if not Belmonte's, Pedrillo's), or Ferrando's
aria from COSI FAN TUTTE.

> *G. Donizetti:
> -Una Furtiva Lagrima (L'Elisir D'amore) (Being Studied ATM)
>
> *Ralph Vaughan Williams
> -The Vagabond (Songs of Travel)
> -Bright is the ring of words (Songs of Travel)
>
> *F. Schubert:
> -Das Wandern (Die Schone Mullerin, Being Studied ATM)

Any number of other Schubert songs, e.g, "Sehnsucht" (D359), "Als ich sie
erroeten sah" (D153), Lied der Mignon (D877/3), "Der Alpenjager", "An
Silvia" (D891), "Am Strome" (D539), the other songs from DIE SCHOENE
MUELLERIN, etc.

You might ask your teacher whether you're ready to undertake "Ecco
ridente", Count Almaviva's aria from Rossini's IL BARBIERE DI SIVIGLIA, or
"Si ritrovarlo, io giuro" from Rossini's LA CENERENTOLA. From Donizetti,
ask about "Pays merveilleux" from L'AFRICAINE.

Also ask about the tenor arias from Mendelssohn's ELIJAH.

As for "German Bel Canto", what immediately comes to mind is von Flotow,
Beethoven, and von Weber. Perhaps you could ask your teacher about "Ach so
fromm" (aka "M'Appari") from von Flotow's MARTHA (aka MARTA), and "Jetzt,
Schatzen, sind wir, allein" from Beethoven's FIDELIO.

For a change of pace, you might ask your teacher about doing some of
Candide's songs from Bernstein's CANDIDE, and the many wonderful tenor
songs from operettas by Lehar, Kalman, and J. Strauss (in German) and
Gilbert and Sullivan and Victor Herbert (in English).

Also, if you've truly got the vocal agility for "Every valley", you might
ask about doing some Vivaldi, such as "Intellectus bonus omnibus
facientibus eum" from the CONFITEBOR TIBI, DOMINE. And also some Bach,
such as "Deposuit" from the MAGNIFICAT IN D, or if you want to work on
German, any of the many tenor arias from the Cantatas and Passions. And
Thomas Arne's operatic arias, such as those for Rimenes in his opera
ARTAXERXES (one of the most dazzling coloratura operas around).

A few not-so-obvious possibilities: Hugh's arias from Vaughan Williams'
HUGH THE DROVER, and Midir's arias from Boughton's THE IMMORTAL HOUR, the
tenor arias from Bruckner's MASSES and TE DEUM.

Karen Mercedes
NEIL SHICOFF, TENORE SUPREMO
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html

My Own Website