Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Fri Jun 1, 2001  2:10 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Least admired singers

I also heard both his SAMSON and his OTELLO, and both only go to show how
a singer can affect two different audience members differently. What I
mainly remember from his OTELLO was his semi-deshabille (which, friends in
the WO chorus tell me, was even less than "semi" at one point, until
someone - most likely Domingo - told him to put his robe back on). What I
mainly remember from his SAMSON was his semi-deshabille. Vocally, he
covers so much, no doubt to create that "virile" baritonal sound that he
probably doesn't really have, that he is always only just barely on pitch
- attacking from below - when he's not actually below pitch, as he is on
both of his "recital" recordings. It's also nowhere near a dramatic voice
in size, and if anything kills his vocal career (and that demise can't
come soon enough IMO - as long as Cura's around, some more worthy tenors,
like Dario Volante, will be overshadowed unjustly), it will be his
overparting himself in his quest to prove that he's the next Domingo
(without any of his mentor's vocal beauty, dimensions, overtones, or -
apparently - humility). Though to my ears, "the next Giacomini" would be
much more accurate, though when Giacomini was "on", he was far more
intensely dazzling than Cura will ever be, IMO.

KM
NEIL SHICOFF, TENORE SUPREMO
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html

My Own Website