Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Fri Jun 1, 2001  1:18 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Mandy Patinkin

What's all this Mandy Pantinkin bashing?

I suppose for some he's an acquired taste, but I think he
has to be seen live and in person to get the full effect. I
saw him on Broadway in Sunday in the Park with George, and
on TV in a few of the Sondheim evening things. I'll tell
you, he's a one-of-a-kind performer. I like good singing,
but with him, I have no interest in vocal technique or the
beauty of his sound. He has such incredible commitment and
intensity - that anyone on this list who had what he has,
would be a big star for sure. I can remember that great
number in Sunday where Seurat is painting the dog and
singing about what he imagines the dog is thinking, and
Mandy *becomes* the dog. Absolutely amazing to see his
transformation, physically AND vocally. I've seen others do
this number, and do it well, but not even close to what
Mandy gave it. I was afraid for his vocal instrument, but
grateful he was risking all to give the audience the
experience.

You can't teach that. I think he has what performers like
Maria Callas had - TOTAL commitement, which draws the
audience in, despite itself. Audiences either love 'em or
hate 'em, but are NEVER neutral about those sorts of
performers.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...