Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Thu May 31, 2001  3:33 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] favorite singers, was: My nomination: most despised singer (was Mandy)

My favourites depend on varied circumstances, and there are many famous
voices that I have never heard. But here is a list from different areas, in
no special order:
Jussi Bjoerling
Enrico Caruso
Michael Jackson when he was 11, I was so disappointed when I realised it
was no girl
The young Kiri Te Kanawa
Hermann Prey
Me
Chris Isaac (a 17 year old baritone who will be studying here in the fall)
Thomas Allen (in opera rather than Lieder)
Doris Day
David Daniels, especially in Handel
The younger Siegfried Jerusalem, especially that album of Strauss songs
The younger Gundula Janowitz
Jessye Norman, especially in Brahms
Lauritz Melchior
Alfredo Kraus
Suzanne Vega
There are many others that have given me great pleasure (including Lauryn
Hill and George London!) and will surely be more that I could add to my
list in the future. This was just the quick-survey-catching-the-peaks.
There are singers who seem to me to have great instruments but I can't
stand what they sing (some country singers), and there are singers whose
vocal timbre does nothing for me but whose intelligence and communicative
power please me greatly (DFD, Billie Holliday etc.). e-guffaws more than
welcome!
john
John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico