Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Virginija Bruozis Muliolis" <veebee_em@l...>
"Virginija Bruozis Muliolis" <veebee_em@l...>
Date:  Thu May 31, 2001  2:10 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] IMPORTANT!!! PLEASE READ BY JUNE 1st!!!

Hold your horses, folks - this is a hoax. This file is an actual Windows
file - you may have system problems if you delete it (that's what the
hoaxter is hoping...).

Once again - we have met the virus and it is us. :-)

Here is more authoritative information on this
<http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/sulfnbk.exe.warning.html>

Here are some more links to check out the reality of virus warnings before
you spread them all over creation.....

Department of Energy Computer Incident Advisory Capability at
http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html

Symantec Anti Virus Research Center at
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/index.html
McAfee Associates Virus Hoax List at http://www.mcafee.com/support/hoax.html
Dr. Solomons Hoax Page at http://www.drsolomons.com/vircen/hoax.html
The Urban Legends Web Site at http://www.urbanlegends.com
Urban Legends Reference Pages at http://www.snopes.com
Datafellows Hoax Warnings at http://www.Europe.Datafellows.com/news/hoax.htm

Those people who are still symptom free can help inoculate themselves
against the Gullibility Virus by reading some good material on evaluating
sources, such as

Evaluating Internet Research Sources at
http://www.sccu.edu/faculty/R_Harris/evalu8it.htm
Evaluation of Information Sources at
http://www.vuw.ac.nz/~agsmith/evaln/evaln.htm
Bibliography on Evaluating Internet Resources at
http://refserver.lib.vt.edu/libinst/critTHINK.HTM