Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ernie Valenzuela <erniev@2...>
Ernie Valenzuela <erniev@2...>
Date:  Wed May 30, 2001  2:03 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Favourite Psalm Settings (was: Urgent repertoire h elp needed)

----Original Message-----
>From: Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
>Subject: [vocalist] Favourite Psalm Settings (was: Urgent
repertoire help needed)
>Date: Thursday, May 10, 2001 9:47 AM
>
>I'm interested to learn what are some other posters' favourites (not
just
>of Psalm 23 - but of all psalms). Here are some of mine:
>Your favourites?

In my efforts to adhere closely to the day's weekly lesson per the
Christian Science Quarterly - the solo selections of my choosing seem
to be found in the Book of Psalms (generally speaking).

Last week, I chose from Psalm 84 "How Lovely thy Dwelling Place"
with music by Josef Haydn from the Carl Fredickson arrangements.

And this week - in keeping with the "dwelling" theme - I have chosen
from Psalm 91 - "He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most high"
by James G. MacDermid. I really like his settings...real warhorses imo.

One of my favourite settings of the 23rd Psalm is found in Darcey Press's
selections by Austin Lovelace - "The Lord my Sheperd is" arranged to music
from Peat(?) 1795. (sorry, don't have these resources near me).
Another, is "The King of Love my Sheperd is" by Charles Gounod.

Psalm 37 "Mark the Perfect Man" by Clement Barker is a soul stirrer &
another of my favourites.

Katherine K. Davis' setting of the 103rd Psalm "Bless the Lord, oh my Soul"
is a very moving selection & lovely sounding on the piano (moreso
than the organ...a requirement in the Christian Science Service). I sang
this selection for a friend's memorial service - I think she would have
liked
it as it attempts to bring comfort to the ones left behind.

Lastly, I have worked several times with local composer & organist at the
CSC of Glenview, IL Adrienne Tindall (she also owns Darcey Press). Her's
may not be my alltime favourite settings of the Psalms - especially 119
(the law). However, I do recommend them to any of you seeking the
opportunity seeking contemporary compositions that will challenge your
musicianship & enlighten a congregation.

Psalter on!!

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
12273 Re: Favourite Psalm Settings (was: Urgent reperto T.R. Larrison   Wed  5/30/2001   5 KB

emusic.com