Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@c...>
John Link <johnlink@c...>
Date:  Tue May 29, 2001  6:42 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Phonation and breathing

>I'm a singer that can't figure out which one techinque is right?
>
>How Do I breathe and, how am i supposed to have a balanced phonation?

Here's a rough outline of a lesson that might be helpful to improve
your breathing:

1) Sing something that is fairly easy, maybe 30 seconds worth.
Obesrve you breathing as you do it, and note your overall sense of
ease or difficulty.

2) Now observe your breathing. How DO you breathe? Just observe,
don't try to control what you do. Pay attention to speed, intensity,
location of movement, and ease.

3) Find several ways to vary how you breath (this is where the
outline gets very rough), and do each of them for 30 seconds or so.
Be sure to rest after each variation.

4) Repeat step 2 and notice what changes have occured.

5) Repeat step 1 and notice what changes have occured.

Have fun!
John Link

P.S. I would also suggest the two lessons I've posted here:
http://members.nbci.com/johnlinkmusic/lowerbackcomfort
http://members.nbci.com/johnlinkmusic/lessonforthetongue

http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkFeldenkrais
http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkVocalQuintet