Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
"Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
Date:  Tue May 29, 2001  4:22 pm
Subject:  Re: Profundi?

consalus@h... wrote:
> bass-obsessed youngster looking for guidance

Dear Kyle,

As someone who was 'misdiagnosed' at the age of 18, I would discourage
you from getting obsessed with the idea of being any particular voice
type. If you concentrate on singing well, your natural category will
become obvious with time. If you focus on trying to be a profundo, you
may overdarken your vowels and get overly reliant on the resonance
*you* hear in your head instead of what others hear. You natural voice
would never come out that way!

Believe me, if you are 'just' a true bass, it's no reason to complain!
Those are rare enough and there's a heck of a lot more work for them
than a true profundo, who generally doesn't have the high notes to
sing the usual solo bass repertoire. Like I said, profundi work in
ensembles mostly, and there aren't too many ensemble gigs that pay
well. (though every a cappella group in the universe would want you)

Tako

emusic.com