Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@m...>
Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@m...>
Date:  Tue May 29, 2001  4:06 am
Subject:  Classical music

Okay vocalisters, I have been asked a question by my ten year old prodigy.
She asked me what defines "classical music" i.e. how is classical music
defined in today's world? She continued, "I looked up classical music in my
school dictionary and this is what it said: (she showed me the quote) '3 a :
of or relating to music of the late 18th and early 19th centuries
characterized by an emphasis on balance, clarity, and moderation b: of,
relating to, or being music in the educated European tradition that includes
such forms as art song, chamber music, opera, and symphony as distinguished
from folk or popular music or jazz.'"

"But you told me that "Peter & The Wolf is classical and you said that 'The
Pines of Rome' and 'Grand Canyon Suite' and 'The Planets' and Malotte's
'Lord's Prayer' and 'When Darkness Stills To Grey' is all classical. But
this is all after the 18th and 19th centuries. So what makes 'The Lord's
Prayer' classical and 'The Wind Beneath my Wings' not classical?"

Duh! I thought I knew what Classical Music was but I cannot answer this
question from my gifted ten year old. Can anyone on the vocalist help?

Dean FH Macy

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
12212 Re: Classical music Greypins@a...   Tue  5/29/2001   2 KB
12215 Re: Classical music thomas mark montgomery   Tue  5/29/2001   2 KB
12218 Re: Classical music Greypins@a...   Tue  5/29/2001   2 KB
12220 Re: Classical music thomas mark montgomery   Tue  5/29/2001   3 KB
12222 Re: Classical music John Link   Tue  5/29/2001   2 KB
12238 Re: Classical music John Alexander Blyth   Tue  5/29/2001   4 KB
12247 Re: Classical music Margaret Harrison   Wed  5/30/2001   5 KB
12268 Re: Classical music Leslie Jones   Wed  5/30/2001   2 KB

emusic.com