Vocalist.org archive

From:  "marina bartoli" <marinabartoli@t...>
"marina bartoli" <marinabartoli@t...>
Date:  Sun May 27, 2001  11:53 am
Subject:  Help!

Hello dear listers,
My name is Marina and it is the first time I'm writing to the group.
I am a 28 years old soprano, basicly singing Baroque an Classical music.
Two years ago I had a problem with my voice: after a tonsillitis, I begun to
hear a sort of "Crack" in my low notes, a sort of laryngeal noise that was
not controllable. People couldn't hear it outside, but for me it was
terrible. It sounded like that: "Trk-trk-trk-trk"...
I had to go on singing anyway, and, a few months later, the problem became
worst and the crack appeared on many notes, even on the high ones, not only
on the lower ones. I went to the doctor and he told me I had a tear ( but it
was a little one ) in one of my vocal chords and that I had to avoid singing
for awhile.

Now I began to sing again but the "Crock" is still coming some days, after 2
years, so I am very worried: I don't understand what exactly causes it and
how I can definitively solve the problem. The doctor himself had told me
that it was basicly a technical problem (breath support and cover of sounds,
he said), but this is not so clear for me, as I sang for 4 years very softly
without hearing any crack, and after the tonsillitis the problem started.
Has any of you had the same problem? Any suggestions ? I would be very
grateful if anybody could tell me how that hated "Crock" works and how I can
avoid it completely. It really upsets me.
P.s- I observed that if I "push" my voice out, the problem doesn't appear,
but the sound of my voice is very forced and I don't like it. I love soft
voices.
Thanks for your help.
Marina

emusic.com