Vocalist.org archive

From:  chosdad@c...
chosdad@c...
Date:  Fri May 25, 2001  6:50 pm
Subject:  Re: Who are hautes-contres?

Dear List:

I have posted a .mp3 sound clip of Gene Cokeroft (GeneCokeroft.mp3),
tenor of the Suntones barbershop quartet. The "tenor" in barbershop
is a harmony part above the melody (sung by a part referred to as the
"lead"), so this song/arrangement (Danny Boy) is not really
barbershop, as the top voice has the melody (more of a Glee-club like
style). Gene switches very smoothly between his lower chest voice,
his passagio range (to about G4), and a "falsetto" top. I consider
this more or less a haute-contre style and technique - tell me what
you think.

Cheers,

Michael

emusic.com