Vocalist.org archive

From:  chosdad@c...
chosdad@c...
Date:  Thu May 24, 2001  7:33 pm
Subject:  Re: Who are hautes-contres?

Dear Weijie and List:

Thanks Weijie for listening to the two sound clips of Mr. Levy, and
for your comments. I am not sure what to make of your specific
questions and or comments, but let me go one by one.

You wrote,"It's obviously a high voice...definitely a guy singing."

COMMENT: I agree, and I think it is a characteristic of the
tenor altino that it is just a lighter higher "tenor" sound, and not a
completely different sound like one encounters with "falsettist"
countertenors.

You wrote,"However it doesn't really touch my heart so much."

COMMENT: We all have different emotional reactions to voices - I was
merely identifying Mr. Levy as one tenor altino with sound clips on
the web. Personally, I rather liked the clips and would like to hear
more of this singer.

You wrote,"it is indeed hard to imagine that the tenor altino could go
sing very high since his voice is already so high."

COMMENT: Hmmm - I don't completely understand what you mean. Probably
the tenor altino can sing quite high - he has a smooth transition to a
light head voice, and probably that extends at least to a third or
fourth (if not much more) above a tenor's high C.

You wrote,"Although I can reach G4 with much ease,I would still think
that it won't be as light as what the haute-contre sing G4."

COMMENT: If you are a baritone, then probably your G4 sounds different
than the G4 of a high light tenor.

Cheers,

Michael

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size