Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Thu May 24, 2001  7:14 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Welsh is Celtic, but not Gaelic (was: Scottish sacred solo)

How I could have made that gaffe about Church of Scotland being Anglican I
don't know! It's been a while since I read the History of Religion in
Britain (a fascinating book), so I clearly need a review.

The relative timing of Celtic incursions was a result of being misinformed
by my Welsh teacher some years ago - and I suspect it was a deliberate bit
of misinformation governed by misdirected national pride on his part. He
was that kind of bloke - but had a lovely accent, nonetheless, and I can
proudly claim to have, at one time, been able to sing the likes of "Ar hyd
y nos" and "Llwyn on" in perfectly-accented (northern) Welsh. Alas, no
longer. Definitely a case of "use it or lose it". Today, I can barely
remember verse one of "Ar hyd y nos" - let alone the dozens of other Welsh
songs I once knew in the original language. I do remember a few highly
useful phrases, though, like "Please put the cheese in the basket" and
"How the knee?" (asked of a young man laid up with a football injury in
the dialogue we learned). That and a few million pounds would no doubt get
me rather far in
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, _diau_?

KM
NEIL SHICOFF, TENORE SUPREMO
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html

My Own Website