Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@c...>
John Link <johnlink@c...>
Date:  Thu May 24, 2001  1:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] back muscles cramping?

genxhousewife wrote:

>when I try to take in a good breath using the lower part of the rib
>cage, where it never caused trouble before, I find that it now makes
>the back muscles (on one side or the other -- it's happened on both
>sides), just above the bottom of the rib cage and near the spine,
>cramp. They also cramp at night when I shift into an "arched"
>postion, or in the morning when I stretch, again arching the back.
>
>I've started calcium supplements, in case that's the cause, but no
>luck so far.
>
>My teacher is sick so I can't ask her so far...but the cramping is
>affecting my singing --it's hard to sing, especially low notes that
>need a lot of support, when you're in muscle-cramp pain...
>
>anybody have an idea what might be the cause?

What you describe sounds similar to what I've heard from some of my
clients in my Feldenkrais practice. If you live near New York City I
would suggest that you come have a lesson with me. I thik that i
could help you learn to improve the ease of your breathing. If you're
not close to New York I suggest the following:

1) Go to http:mp3.com/JohnLinkFeldenkrais and do the lesson
"Lower-Back Comfort".

2) Go to http://www.feldenkrais.com and find a Feldenkrais
practitioner near you. I'd be glad to make recommendations. I would
suggest both private lessons and classes.

John Link

http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkFeldenkrais
http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkVocalQuintet

emusic.com