Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Thu May 24, 2001  5:43 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Question for contest judges

On Wed, 23 May 2001, Molly McLinden wrote:

> I have just heard that next year,at my school, we are going to hold a
> contest where you sing 25 minutes worth of classical music. (the prize is
> $5,000! )
> *of course* I am going to consult with my teacher about this, but
> considering it's 25 minutes worth of music...what is best to perform?
> One song cycle plus a few arias? 2 song cycles that greatly contrast?
> Has anyone ever entered a contest with such requirements?

The average aria clocks in between 3.30 and 6.00. You could easily fill
your 25 minutes with five arias, especially if one of them was something
along the lines of "Cara Sposa" from Rinaldo, which clocks in at 9.00 and
change. Indeed, you could easily fill the entire 25 minutes with two
average-length Wagner arias. :)

Karen Mercedes
NEIL SHICOFF, TENORE SUPREMO
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html