Vocalist.org archive

From:  Amy Hespenheide <nevadamezzo@y...>
Date:  Thu Apr 27, 2000  6:08 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] "faching up"

--- "DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTMENT)" <DCLARK@r...> wrote:

> I must be missing something here. Please help me understand the
> difference
> between vocalizing a note and singing it.

Maybe this is my flawed use of terminology -- but here's the problem
(which, as Leslie has said, can be dealt with by working on breath
support and correct vowels):

I can vocalize up to a C#6 or D6, as long as that's quite fast-moving
notes, moving up the scale or on an arpeggio, and back down again.
However, when I try to sing even an F5 in a *song*, where I have to
sing an actual word -- with consonants, yikes! -- I cannot hold it for
any length of time, and it sounds horrible -- screechy, pressed,
laser-beam, wobbly, you name it. Although I know I've gone up much
higher than that F5 with decent tone (although for only a very brief
moment) I haven't yet gotten to the point where the F5 in a song has
any richness, or warmth, or even any vibrato or resonance. So I say
that for now I can sing an E5 and can vocalize higher than that.

Any suggestions from vocalister most welcome! I *know* that the level
of support is critical -- I just usually don't have enough there -- and
the recent thread from Dr. Hanson and others has been very helpful.
When running, and in everyday life, I often keep my abs taut, and I
have trouble keeping the abs relaxed while still producing the kind of
breath energy necessary to hit those notes. I often wind up clenching
the ab muscles, which I know is NOT going to help.

Amy
Reno, Nevada

1213 Support (was "faching up") Jennifer   Thu  4/27/2000   3 KB

emusic.com