Vocalist.org archive

From:  leskayc@a...
Date:  Thu Apr 27, 2000  4:48 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] "faching up"

In a message dated 04/27/2000 10:27:46 AM Central Daylight Time,
DCLARK@r... writes:

<< Please help me understand the difference
between vocalizing a note and singing it. >>

Ah! Great question-one I asked teachers and directors for years before I got
a straight answer!!! Those of us with a morbid fear of high notes operate
under the delusion that vocalising on an "ah" or some other easy open vowel
is one thing , but singing them using words is quite another. I have always
been able to vocalize a LOT higher than I was comfortable singing using
words. Only after learning to modify vowels and RELAX has this gotten
better! I actually had a choir director (who needed me to be a 2nd soprano)
tell me that even though I could vocalize above C6 that I would never be
able to sing above F5 or maybe a G5 in public. Of course this is wrong. If
you can vocalize it, you can sing it-I am living proof of that! However, us
"fear of heights" sopranos need to have proper instruction in order to learn
how to do it. Just because one is a soprano doesn't mean that the high notes
are always a piece of cake! Learning to sing correctly has been an amazing,
though sometimes very frustrating journey for me. We are truly "fearfully
and wonderfully made!"

Leslie-who knocked out a B5 at the 8:30 service on Easter!!

emusic.com