Vocalist.org archive

From:  Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Date:  Mon May 21, 2001  5:02 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: wgms (fwd)

Michael Sinanan wrote:

> Dear Karen
>
> Far from being bozo-like, I thought the Program Director's response was both
well argued and considered, though quite disappointing for opera lovers. Being
in the UK I do not have access to this station, but we have been getting the
Saturday performances from the Met live on BBC Radio 3. I think they are great
but, probably like you, I wonder how more people can be persuaded to think as I
do.

> I suspect that any similar listener research in this country would come up
with similar results and the programming of Classic FM, the popular classical
radio station over here, would seem to confirm that. However, my hypothesis
would be, that the people who do listen to complete opera presentations are
already going to live opera productions or have been to them in the past. So,
the key to getting more of these kinds of broadcasts on the radio is to get
more people into the enjoyment of opera and into the opera houses. I doubt if
it happens much the other way round.

I don't listen much to Classic FM these days, though I do listen mainly
to BBC radio 3 which is the rather more serious classical station.

I was wondering, how much vocal and choral music is there on Classic FM?
I seem to remember there was a fair amount, and there certainly is a
_lot_ of it on Radio 3. Do we in Britain just appreciate singers more -
is it anything to do with our choral tradition? Or is Classic FM also
fighting shy of broadcasting vocal music these days?

Radio 3, BTW, broadcasts throughout the night, and apart from a couple
of hours or so when it is schools programmes for recording, this is all
music. It's not uncommon to have a complete (and rare) opera going out
at 2.30 am!

cheers

Linda

emusic.com