Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jennifer Fretwell" <jfretwell@h...>
Date:  Thu Apr 27, 2000  9:33 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] "faching up"

>I'm slightly stunned that teachers thought you were a mezzo
>when you had that kind of top range . . . . But then again, maybe
>voice classifications are also based on tone color, where in your range
>you're most comfortable, etc.

From what I have seen on this list, some teachers consider multiple factors
when determining fach - vocal timbre/color, passagios (breaks), facial
structure, comfortable tessitura, etc. My voice teacher, however, is adamant
that your passagios are the only thing that determine one's fach. Under that
line of thought, I was a high lyric mezzo before because even though I could
vocalise up to D6 on a good day and my voice had a soprano quality to it, I
had the breaks of a mezzo.