Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Colin Reed" <colin-reed@l...>
"Colin Reed" <colin-reed@l...>
Date:  Sun May 20, 2001  11:00 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Four opera roles

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mirko Ruckels" <mirkoruckels@o...>
To: <vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: 18 May 2001 11:05
Subject: [vocalist] Four opera roles

> Hey, there's nothing wrong with continually learning new roles- I like
the
> idea of continually learning music- I'd hate to be stuck with four roles
> for the rest of my life- Even though the four roles you mentioned are the
> ones that I would most like to sing! apart from rodolfo- I'd explode if
> had to sing that. Manrico and Cavaradossi however...that's my cup of tea.
> Maybe a Turridu here and there as well....
>
> Mirko

I agree. I would hate to limit myself to a few roles. I have always
enjoyed learning lots of music. I have always been a good sight reader and
a quick learner. Yes I would love to do Rodolfo. I would also love to do
Captain Vere, Peter Grimes, and maybe Achilles in King Priam. I'd like Des
Grieux in Massenet's Manon, as well as Puccini's version. Tom Rakewell
maybe a little light for my voice, but what the heck, I'll still learn the
music. Albert Gregor would be a fun role too. Add to this the fact that
operas are still being written today. I would love to sing the part of the
prince in James McMillan's Ines de Castro. There are so many roles that you
could never learn them all, but you can always strive to do something new.
Why stop at so few? You wouldn't ask a composer to write the same piece of
music repeatedly, or for a football team to only play 4 other teams, and
never change the players!

Colin Reed, tenor
Newark, UK

emusic.com