Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Fri May 18, 2001  11:38 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Mellow Yellow (Quite Rightly)

Karen Mercedes wrote:

> I always thought in the case of this song it was less about drug culture
> than the Indian mystical craze that people like Donovan, the Beatles (esp
> George Harrison), Pete Townshend, and even (very briefly) Mick Jagger were
> getting into at the end of the '60s as an alternative to the drug culture.
>
> I take the imagery in Donovan's song, then, to be meditation- rather than
> hallucinogenic-drug induced

Being of a certain age....I recollect this song being before
the Beatles went to India and the Maharishi, and at the
time, I took the reference to the electrical banana to be
the smoking banana's for a high thing that was reported in
the popular media at the time. In my mind, I put this song
in 1966 or 1967, pre-Sgt. Pepper. This is one of those songs
that brings up a particular memory-picture in my mind -
singing it on a bus with fellow high-school age kids off to
a religious youth-group convention!

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...