Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sheila Graham" <sheilagraham@b...>
"Sheila Graham" <sheilagraham@b...>
Date:  Wed May 16, 2001  4:28 am
Subject:  Meaning of Mellow Yellow

From: "Ernie Valenzuela" <erniev@2...>
To: <vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com>

> Well then, if "everyone else you've ever met" can help me out...
> ...what in blazes is Donovan (the Scot poet, troubadour)
> saying in "Mellow Yellow"? Aside from "it's got a good beat &
> easy to dance to"!

Hi Ernie and List,

I believe that 'Mellow Yellow' refers to the rumour, prevalent at the time,
that banana skins were hallucinogenic. I think you were supposed to bake
them very gently, for a long time in a low heat, until they crumbled to a
powder and then smoke that.

Can't vouch for its effectiveness; I was one of those sad people who was
there in the sixties and can actually remember, to my undying embarrassment,
most of what I did. The people I knew who said it worked were fairly
strange, but I don't think they limited their hallucinogenic experiments to
banana skins.

Government health warning: of course, smoking anything is vocal suicide!

Regards to all,

Sheila

Sheila Graham
Mezzo-Soprano, Edinburgh, Scotland

www.sheilagraham.demon.co.uk

'She is a singer, and therefore capable of anything' (Bellini)

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
11960 Re: Meaning of Mellow Yellow Elizabeth Finkler   Wed  5/16/2001   2 KB

emusic.com