Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Tue May 15, 2001  4:26 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Voice Cuts Out

In a message dated 5/15/01 7:42:37 AM Central Daylight Time,
kjensen@c... writes:

> I have a 50-ish female student who has a lyric voice which has been
> technically secure in the past, but occasionally it just cuts out, like a
> candle suddenly being snuffed out by a sudden gust of wind. It just simply
> stops, usually on a highish sustained note, as if the prospect of
> sustaining is too much for the instrument to bear. Has anyone else had any
> experience with this kind of thing? I have been reading up on effects of
> hormonal changes and haven't been able to find anything specific. Any
> ideas, medical, vocal, or otherwise?
> Cheers, Karen Jensen

If you suspect some kind of organic or functional disorder, the only way to
know for sure is to have her examined via stroboscopy. Otherwise you're just
shooting in the dark.

Randy Buescher

taylor23f@h...
  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size