Vocalist.org archive

From:  "brian" <brigo@m...>
"brian" <brigo@m...>
Date:  Tue May 15, 2001  4:00 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Joseph Rosenblatt

> Has anyone heard of a tenor with the name "Joseph Rosenblatt" ?
> I think he is the best.<<<<<<<>>>>>>>

Hi Noses!

Joseph Rosenblatt (also known as Yosef or Yosele Rosenblatt) was the great
Jewish Orthodox cantor, considered by many to be the greatest of the
cantorial "golden age". He died in the early 1930's. He was offered a
contract with the Chicago Lyric Opera company but turned it down for
religious reasons.

His voice was compared to Caruso. His recordings are the typical tinny
sounds of the early recording machines, but they give you some idea of his
voice. Edison used Rosenblatt for testing of his earliest cylinders.

His compositions are especially lyrical, and that lyricism distinguishes
them from many other Eastern European cantorial pieces from the same era.

One of his children was Henry Rosenblatt, who was a bass- baritone. He sang
with the MET in the 40's-50's under the name Paul Dennis. He later recorded
at least one cantorial recording as an older man, using his name Henry
Rosenblatt.

Joseph Rosenblatt's great grandson is an Orthodox Rabbi here in New York
City.

I have arranged his famous T'ka B'Shofar composition for voice and piano,
using modern Hebrew pronunciation and accentuation. It required some rythym
shifting, but my arrangement (without the piano for orthodox-types) could be
sung in the modern synagogue since the Hebrew accents are correct. I would
be happy to send you a copy.

Brian Shanblatt
Instructor of Nusach and Coach
Belz School of Jewish Music