Vocalist.org archive

From:  RRicciardi@S...
Date:  Wed Apr 26, 2000  3:35 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist-temporary]Callas (was I'm all choked up)

In all honesty - it was Maria Callas singing that attracted me to Opera. I
heard a recording of Callas singing "La mamma morta" from "Andrea Chenier"
and it moved me to tears. Then it was "La Wally" and after that came Carmen,
and after that I was irreversably hooked. I agree with you that while it may
not have been a "pretty" voice, it had power and intensity (it made you feel
something very intense and very profound deep from within) unlike any other
voice that I have ever heard and perhaps it is there where its beauty lies.
I also would like to know how on earth was able to convey that feeling so
convincingly well. One of the true mysteries of Opera.

Just a thought.

Rick