Vocalist.org archive

From:  Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Date:  Mon May 14, 2001  6:04 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] gesture in oratorio, was: reading skills, etc.

I believe another reason that music is frequently used by soloists in
oratorio has to do with the fact that frequently the soloists lines fall
within the context of a chorus. I covered the soprano part for rehearsals
of Mozart's "Solemn Vespers" recently & many of the solo lines were 4-6
bars in the middle of the chorus & then 4-6 more bars 25 bars later, etc.
Not following along in the score could be disasterous in works such as
this.

Pat

On Thu, 10 May 2001 14:51:38 -0400 Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>