Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Nande" <denanny@h...>
"Nande" <denanny@h...>
Date:  Sat May 12, 2001  6:35 am
Subject:  [vocalist] Re: Sight-reading IS important

Hi James,

Maybe I should have mentioned that I'm still trying to find out where
I stand on this. I was more or less writing down my thoughts. And as I
said, I do really feel that reading music is important!

BTW, you're so right about the blues/jazz thing. I clearly used the
wrong example....
:-))

Nande

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., "stjames" <vocalist-temporary@y..., "stjames" < > > In my opinion, it is the same with music. Sure, when you can read
the
> > notes etc. and therefore get a pretty good picture of the
composer's
> > intentions, that's a definite plus. But I do not think it's all
that
> > necessary.
> > What about all those greatly gifted jazz and blues musicians?
There
> > are lots of people in that league with no reading skills
whatsoever.
> > And they're definitely being considered serious musicians.
>
> James here....
>
> Jazz and Blues is often not written out or just progressions in a
fake book.
> Good luck trying to make it is classical without
> reading music.
>
> james

emusic.com