Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
sopran@a...
Date:  Fri May 11, 2001  5:19 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Sight-reading IS important

In a message dated 5/11/01 12:44:45 PM, stjames@l... writes:

<<
I have not seen studies but "A Soprano on Her Head" mentions and discusses
this. I have worked with some fantastic sight readers, they all seem to have
trouble memorization. I see it this way; sight readers eyes have the ability
to "gulp" lots of information without being concerned with each note. They
have an ear that is less concerned with every note but keeping things going.
Memorization means note perfect. >>

The ability to sight read and the ability to memorize are not necessarily
related and definitely not mutually exclusive. I was always able to memorize
easily and quickly, sight singing was more of a challenge.

But it is possible for one individual to be able to pick up a piece of music,
sight read it perfectly, and memorize it quickly. I've done it now and then
myself.

Judy

emusic.com