Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Fri May 11, 2001  4:52 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Sight-reading IS important

As a classical guitarist I was an excellent sight-reader, and found
memorization moderately hard (I memorized very little as a guitarist). As a
singer I read moderately well, and have found that memorization has become
easier the more that I have practiced it. It still takes me a long time to
memorize something though, and I have to go into a song in considerable
depth (often looking up *every* word, even in a language I have a good
knowledge of). The words are the tough bit - the notes usually don't take
nearly as long unless the idiom is very unusual. Memorization is now
time-consuming rather than tough. I assume that successful professional
singers must have little spare time!
As a chorister memorization wasn't required, but tended to happen with
anything that was repeated a lot, resulting in a more musical performance.
john