Vocalist.org archive

From:  "stjames" <stjames@l...>
"stjames" <stjames@l...>
Date:  Fri May 11, 2001  5:43 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Sight-reading IS important

> There is a part of this discussion that interests me a lot. I would like
> see how many of you who consider yourselves to be good sight-readers (I
do)
> have trouble with memorization (again, I do!). Have there been any
studies
> on this phenomenon, and is there really a correlation?
>
> Thanks for your insights here...
> David Grogan

James here.....

I have not seen studies but "A Soprano on Her Head" mentions and discusses
this. I have worked with some fantastic sight readers, they all seem to have
trouble memorization. I see it this way; sight readers eyes have the ability
to "gulp" lots of information without being concerned with each note. They
have an ear that is less concerned with every note but keeping things going.
Memorization means note perfect.

My accompanist can sight read full orchestral score, transpose it, and bang
out the singers line but has real trouble committing to memory music.

james

emusic.com