Vocalist.org archive

From:  MaryBeth Smith <mbsmith.sing@s...>
Date:  Wed Apr 26, 2000  2:20 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] High School Senior Recital

Jameson Linville wrote:

> Is it acceptable for a high school senior to give a recital - sort of a
> going away type theme?

By all means! This is a great idea, and can be very nice at building support
for you later in your career, if you choose to pursue one. All the people who
attend can say they "knew you when. . ."

> I am a sophomore, and think that it would be quite
> neat, for I am already a known baritone soloist in my community, but I just
> don't know if it is procedure. If it is, does one invite prospective
> employers, college admissions folks?

You can start working on repertoire with your teacher now in preparation for
this goal. Invite people from your church and school, people you've sung for
before, etc. Write a press release and send it to your local paper--they love
stuff like this. Rather than inviting college admissions people, it might be
more productive to arrange for a *really good recording* of the recital that
you can use later for competition applications, etc.

If your high school has a "gifted and talented" program (talk to one of the
guidance counselors), you may be able to design a portion of your curriculum
so that you actually receive some sort of credit or commendation (sort of like
an honors program designation) through the school. I have several students
who have been/are currently on this track. They perform a public recital,
with a program, program notes, etc. in partial fulfillment of the requirements
for the honors program.

> How long is a typical recital of this
> sort? Also, any repertoire ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Your teacher is the best person to guide you here. Good luck.

MaryBeth D. Smith
Coordinator of Voice/Opera
Southwest Texas State University

VCard