Vocalist.org archive

From:  "DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTMENT)" <DCLARK@r...>
"DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTMENT)" <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Thu May 10, 2001  10:09 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Belting

>Whats going on nobody can help me with that question?

Belting is a style of singing used in musical theatre. Perhaps no one has
answered your question, because even the experts don't agree on how to define
belting. Let's just say for convenience that it is a mixed sound (chest and
head registers) with chest slightly dominant. When one belts carefully and
healthfully, all is well. If one sings with too much chest sound too high,
one can do serious vocal damage. Thus belting well is a real art.

Where are you, Barry B., when we need you?!!

|\ Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof./Chair of Music Dept., Rhodes College
| 2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112, 901-843-3782, dclark@r...
() http://gray.music.rhodes.edu/musichtmls/faculty/dclark.html

emusic.com