Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Karin Mandix" <kmx@m...>
"Karin Mandix" <kmx@m...>
Date:  Thu May 10, 2001  9:12 pm
Subject:  Re: reading skills or rather a lack thereof.........

Karen Mercedes wrote:

>Does anyone else find that when one sight-reads a piece for the first
>time, one's vocal technique pretty much goes out the window

Oh yes. All my "first tries" at a new piece (as recorded in a singing
lesson) are markedly worse technically than what I am able to do the next
time I try. I tend to be so sharp that I'm on the verge of being off pitch -
I can't hear it while singing, but listening to the tape later can make me
curl my toes....
The reason seems to be tension. I'm trying so hard that I am tensing up some
muscles in the lower abdomen (and probably lots of other places, but
definitely there - I guess it is the place where the butterflies live). This
explanation makes sense, beacuse I do tend to develop a lot of muscular
tension if I am stressed. And something new is always stressful (at least in
the sense that it keeps your mind busy with some extra work).

Luckily, I'm not required to sight-read in public.

Karin

emusic.com