Vocalist.org archive

From:  Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Date:  Thu May 10, 2001  4:04 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Urgent repertoire help needed

> >The only music I'd really hesitate to
> >transpose are opera arias.
>
> Why would you hesitate to transpose them?

Because operas are (usually) continuous musical
entities, and transposing one aria would disrupt the
key structure. This wouldn't be an issue for most
musicals, where there are long bits of speech between
songs so key changes wouldn't be noticeable (for most
of us :o).

I'm sure other people could jump in here with thoughts
on sticking to the composer's intention (would Dalila
be as sultry sung a third higher, for example?), but
since I transpose everything else when it suits my
voice I can't really use that justification.

Jennifer

11751 Re: Urgent repertoire help needed John Link   Thu  5/10/2001   3 KB

emusic.com