Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Thu May 10, 2001  9:36 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] heads buried in books

In a message dated 5/10/2001 3:55:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
omigurt@m... writes:
omigurt@m... writes:

<< It can be quite annoying. The point, of course, is to communicate the
music and text (listed in alphabetical order!). Most classical singers,
most of the time, in most music do this with music memorized. However,
even if the music is not memorized, the performer should still be off-book
enough to make eye contact with the audience and tell the story. >>

someone told me, when i was in college, of a singer singing at city
opera (ny) who would show up for rehearsals in mirrored sunglasses and wear
them throughout the entire rehearsal. scott walker, a singer/songwriter,
having a near cultish following in the uk and an inspiration to such artists
as david bowie, bryan ferry and nick cave, always wears sunglasses, even
during his rare performances. both of these people are reclusive
(seperating them from those who wear sunglasses onstage just to be cool).

performing from memory, for me, is a nightmare. remembering what i am
singing becomes my priority as opposed to getting the point of what i am
singing across. i enjoy singing and i'm happy to have people hear me.
but, i don't like making faces or gestures other than my usual unanimated
blank stare so, there's really nothing for anyone to see. when i perform
using music, i'm not aware of using it for anything other than not having to
remember what comes next and, more importantly, so i have an excuse not to
make eye contact.

reclusive? shy? maybe so. (i actually find praise from audience
members after a performance kind of embarrassing.) whatever the reason, if
all i have to offer is the sounds i make, whether or not i use music is not
even a moot point. i am sure i am not alone in wanting just to be held
responsible for the sound of a perfomance. the expectation of people who
are just interested in making music to have to put on some kind of visual
display, seems a bit unfair.

i also hate dressing up too.

mike

mike