Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Date:  Thu May 10, 2001  1:57 am
Subject:  re: Query on "Letter from Sullivan Ballou"

Trevor wrote:

>I heard Renee Flemming do John Kander's "A Letter from
>Sullivan Ballou" when she did her PBS special from the
>penthouse at Lincoln Center. I know it is written for
>soprano, but does anyone think it would be
>inappriopriate in lower the key and have a baritone
>sing it. The way the song is written I think it could
>be the wife, Sarah, reading the letter, or Sullivan
>himself writing the letter.
>
>Any opinions?

That's an intriguing idea! Since Mr. Kander is still among the living, I
suggest that you contact him and ask *his* opinion (it probably counts more
than ours anyway, since he wrote the piece!) I will say this: I have a lot
of experience with calling composers and asking for information about their
music. I've never had one be anything other than flattered and gracious
and accommodating. In fact, I've just gotten permission to do just the
kind of cross-gender adaptation you describe and am anxiously awaiting my
copy of the score!

Go for it! (I'd try the New York phone book -- or write to his publisher.)

Naomi Gurt Lind

emusic.com