Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Wed May 9, 2001  9:30 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Urgent repertoire help needed

I have had success with the song "How Could I Ever Know?" from the musical
THE SECRET GARDEN at two different funerals/memorial services. It's
secular, modern, and appropriate for a classically-trained soprano or
mezzo. The lyrics:

How could I know I would have to leave you?
How could I know I would hurt you so?
You were the one I was born to love.
Oh how could I ever know?

How can I say to go on without me,
how when I know you still need me so?
How can I say not to dream about me?
How could I ever know?

Forgive me. Can you forgive me
and hold me in your heart,
and try some new way to love me
now that we're apart?

How could I know I would never hold you,
never again in this world? But, oh,
sure as you dream I am there inside (or beside) you!
How could I ever know?

(In the musical, the song is sung by the dead wife's ghost to her grieving
husband.)

If you want something less sad and more "hopeful", you might sing "When
you walk through a storm" from Rodgers & Hammerstein's CAROUSEL.

If you want something even more "pop", you could sing Elton John's "Candle
in the Wind" - the song he composed for Princess Diana's funeral, or
Celine Dion's "My Heart will Go on" (from the TITANIC soundtrack).

If you decide that you could consider a classical piece, you might see if
Thomas Weelkes' three-part "Death hath deprived me of my dearest
friend" to the needs of solo voice.

Actually, I was tickled to learn that one of the most-requested secular
songs for funerals at present is "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life",
(Eric Idle) from Monty Python's LIFE OF BRIAN.

Karen Mercedes
=====
My NEIL SHICOFF Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html