Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@c...>
John Link <johnlink@c...>
Date:  Wed May 9, 2001  3:49 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] reading skills or rather a lack thereof.........

Nande wrote:

>They sent me the sheet music in advanc, I was to learn
>it and reproduce it at the audition. I know I made some mistakes in
>rhythm because of my nerves, but mostly I couldn't quite see the
>sharps and the flats. Sounds funny, this, I'll try to say it
>differently. I have big trouble seeing intervals, I have some trouble
>seeing rhythms. So I can learn the music, decode it, so to speak, but
>when I get nervous, or it gets difficult in some other way, the notes
>in front of me do not help, they just turn back into gibberish....
>
>Hope this makes sense..... (It's hard enough to explain in dutch, let
>alone in english....)

I think I understand exactly what you write. You said "when I get
nervous, or it gets difficult in some other way, the notes in front
of me do not help, they just turn back into gibberish". It sounds to
me that you learn the music through a combination of listening to
recordings and study of the score. I suspect that you actually
memorize it whether you realize it or not. Then, under presure, you
go to the score for assistance that you don't find. As you say, "the
notes in fornt of me do not help". If that's correct, then I suggest
when you perform you do not hold and look at any paper with black
marks. I suspect that those who suggested you improve your reading
could see that you were nervous and things got worse as you buried
yourself in the page.

Remember that when we say "Do you have your music with you?" to mean
"Do you have your paper with black marks on it with you?" we are
speaking nonsense. The music is not on the paper, it is within you!

I'm curious about something else. How is it for you to read aloud?
I'm refering to a novel or a poem or a newspaper article.

John Link

http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkFeldenkrais
http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkVocalQuintet

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
11676 Re: reading skills or rather a lack thereof...... Nande   Wed  5/9/2001   2 KB
11680 Re: reading skills or rather a lack thereof...... John Link   Wed  5/9/2001   3 KB
11677 Re: reading skills or rather a lack thereof...... Nande   Wed  5/9/2001   3 KB
11678 Re: reading skills or rather a lack thereof...... John Link   Wed  5/9/2001   4 KB
11690 Re: reading skills or rather a lack thereof...... Nande   Wed  5/9/2001   3 KB
11708 Re: reading skills or rather a lack thereof...... John Link   Thu  5/10/2001   2 KB
11713 Re: reading skills or rather a lack thereof...... Nande   Thu  5/10/2001   2 KB
11725 Re: reading skills or rather a lack thereof...... Karen Mercedes   Thu  5/10/2001   4 KB

emusic.com