Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Nande" <denanny@h...>
"Nande" <denanny@h...>
Date:  Wed May 9, 2001  3:50 pm
Subject:  reading skills or rather a lack thereof.........

Dear list,

Yesterday, I had an audition (for a new chamber-choir). Not very
remarkable, I seem to have a lot of them recently. But this time, I
was told something I hadn't heard before....

I was given a piece by Rudolf Escher in advance which I found quite
challenging, both in rhythm and 'melodic'. I studied it with my
teacher as well as with a friend who is quite a good pianist. They
both agreed with me that it was not the easiest piece of music they
ever heard. It was do-able, but would not come naturally to me until
real practise with all voices and a conductor.

So, I did my best to reproduce what I rehearsed at the audition. And
it went completely wrong because of my nerves/insecurity. (Which was
no surprise to me, but nevertheless very annoying and frustrating)
Then I was told that, despite my "fantastic voice", I really should
work on my reading skills..... (So, I think I was rejected)

I wish I could easily read music. I've been reading music nearly my
entire life (from the age of 6), I played the violin, I played the
flute, but the reading never really came naturally. I was always
counting and searching for the right position.
Musically, I think there's nothing wrong with me, I could play nearly
everything I heard (within technical limits) on both my violin and my
flute. But to play the simplest tunes from sheet was dramatic.

The way I now learn new music is to find a recording of it, listen to
it while I read and then I start to see the music in all the notes
and the symbols. Before I hear it, I can make out the basic
structure, the tempi, some rhythm and determine whether or not this
is going to be relatively easy or relatively difficult for me. I do
not see/hear the music in my head when I read it the first time.
I do have a very good musical memory and a good musical ear.

Do I really need the reading skills? (since learning new music is not
really difficult for me) Can't I do without? Or rather isn't what I
now 'have' enough? Is it useful to take a course? (I've taken a few
before, but that was when I was 10 - 14 yars old. I'm 29 now) i
really want to do solos in the future. I think solos are easier to
learn thar choral pieces.

What's your opinion?

Nande

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
11673 Re: reading skills or rather a lack thereof...... John Link   Wed  5/9/2001   2 KB
11674 Re: reading skills or rather a lack thereof...... Nande   Wed  5/9/2001   3 KB
11675 Re: reading skills or rather a lack thereof...... John Link   Wed  5/9/2001   3 KB
11676 Re: reading skills or rather a lack thereof...... Nande   Wed  5/9/2001   2 KB
11680 Re: reading skills or rather a lack thereof...... John Link   Wed  5/9/2001   3 KB
11677 Re: reading skills or rather a lack thereof...... Nande   Wed  5/9/2001   3 KB
11678 Re: reading skills or rather a lack thereof...... John Link   Wed  5/9/2001   4 KB
11690 Re: reading skills or rather a lack thereof...... Nande   Wed  5/9/2001   3 KB
11708 Re: reading skills or rather a lack thereof...... John Link   Thu  5/10/2001   2 KB

emusic.com