Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Tue May 8, 2001  8:29 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Lieder vs Opera WAS: grumpy mozart tenor is back!

Well, I'm not a pro, but I use the same technique in Lieder and in opera,
with one important difference: the pianissimi in opera still need to ring
and project but the Lied can almost be whispered in places, since one is
usually (not always!) singing Lieder in a smaller auditorium. Since it is
possible to back off from a full spectrum of sound and still be heard, more
vocal colours are possible, including the dampening of otherwise
indispensible vibrato.
Let me add that a lot (by no means all) of orchestral accompaniment of
voices is actually quieter than the pianoforte accompaniment of a Lied -
the smoothness of attack of orchestral strings is less of a shock to my
ears than the percussive re-iterations of (for instance) an orchestral
reduction for piano. Therefore, in the same hall, some effects may be
possible in a particularily quiet operatic passage than wouldn't work over
the ripplings of a florid piano accompaniment. The orchestra is usually
further away than the piano, allowing for more spatial definition too.
The whole subject is further complicated by what recording artists do:
some singers adapt their singing because of the possibilities which they
see afforded by the microphone, thus a set of expectations are engendered
by what is, in effect, a new and subtly different art form. There is
*never* a need to project when using a microphone - indeed, as has often
been rehearsed in this list, a well projected voice is likely to be
difficult or impossible to capture adequately in recording. john